Thursday 8 January 2015

Fabric Sourcing...

Sourcing fabrics and looking at different types of materials is one of the most important processes in design. Fabric is key for both design and pattern cutting, as fabric will create the shape, silhouette and fit of a garment. There are many different weights and textured material, so it is essential to source the right type of fabric in order to create a garment.

When sourcing fabrics I usually have a colour palette ready so that I could match the fabrics to the colours I want. But from past experience I found it hard to get the exact colours from a colour palette, this causes me to have limited fabrics. Sometimes I would see a fabric I like, but because it being in the wrong colour I would end up leaving it. Even different shades could vary from the chosen colour on your computer to the one you print out.

I decided that I go with the flow to look for my fabrics. I have in mind some of the colours that I thought about using, which are the characters colour in the Despicable Me movie.

These are:
-Yellow
-Blue
-Pink
-Purple
-Black
-Grey
and possibly whites.

The first stop I made was Abakhans in Manchester, I found a few bits but nothing really inspired me. I collected some samples that I found interesting but not sure as a garment.

I then took a day trip to London; I didn’t have enough time to source around as I spent 2 and half hours in Fabric House, Shepherds bush. Rashid the owner of the shop was very helpful, as he knew I had travelled a long way. I pretty much bought everything I found interesting; I felt that if I didn’t buy it regardless the wrong colour I would regret not buying it, like I usually do when I go by a colour palette. Since I bought so much I couldn't carry it around with me so I dropped it of at the luggage storage shop in Kings Cross Station. I thought that I would have enough time and visit Soho to source around and collect some samples but unfortunately I didn’t. I thought about emailing some of the fabric shops and ask if they could send me some samples by post, but I don’t have any particular type of fabric I’m after, as I am still sourcing and looking at what could be interesting as a garment.

Part of my London trip I planned to visit Somerset House for some primary research inspiration. However again I didn’t have enough time to visit, so I will be planning another London trip to visit both Somerset House and Soho.


Yesterday I visited Waltons in Goldthorpe, most of the fabrics in there are lycra and dance materials. I found it tacky but I did find some good colours so I bought a few bits. This is when I realized that I had bought a lot of thick material from London and I am creating a summer collection. So the few pieces I bought from Waltons are mesh, powernet and some jersey fabrics more suitable for the Summer/Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment